THE NEW RULES OF FUNNY
It used to be that, if something was funny, it was just funny. It didn’t require any explanation (unless you were talking to someone a bit addled, ancient or just kind of slow on the uptake) and it definitely didn’t require any justification (unless you were talking to either a nun, a cop or your Middle School Principal).
Nowadays, for something to be funny, it must first be considered “acceptable” …… acceptable, appropriate and palatable to every single category of human that you can possibly imagine. If it passes the acceptability standard, then and only then can it actually be considered humorous…assuming that it really is…and that’s pretty fucking difficult when there are so many rules to be mindful of.
Comedians and humorists of today are obligated to carefully dissect and analyze their material, giving particular consideration to the many religions, races, colors, genders, etc, etc, that one could potentially offend with an inadvertently insensitive word. Thus, pretty much all they (we) are left to talk about and poke fun at must, out of necessity, be limited to topics and themes specifically approved by the NFF™…
Please note that the following list of subjects have all been officially tagged with the “NOT FUNNY” designation by the NFF™. The purpose of this designation is to prevent current and future satirists, humorists, comedic actors, stand-up comedians, comedy writers and cartoonists from unintentionally or intentionally offending anyone with ill-advised verbiage, banter, commentary, phrasing or intonation.
Officially Designated as “Not Funny”
- Jokes about Sexual Inclinations and/or Perversions (0ther Than Your Own)
- Dead Baby Jokes
- Jokes about Religious Groups, Figures, Beliefs or Practices (Other Than Your Own)
- Helen Keller Jokes
- Jokes about Any Form of Mental or Physical Disability (Other Than Your Own)
- Jokes Regarding Ethnic Generalities of Any Kind (Unless they Apply Directly to You and Yours)
- How Many _______ Does it Take to _________ Jokes
- Jokes that Feature Slang Terms for any Minority Group (Other Than Your own)
- Jokes that poke fun at Endangered Species
- Jokes aimed at Vegetarians or Vegans
- Jokes or anecdotes about bullying, peanut allergies, gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, depression, recycling or baby seals
THE NOT FUNNY FORCE
™®© and Patent Pending